Saturday, August 26, 2017

Influencing Actions That Lead to More Help for Youth in Poverty

When I started the Tutor/Mentor Connection (T/MC) in 1993 my goal was to duplicate advertising strategies that big business use to motivate people to shop at their stores.  I needed to find a way to do this without the money available to most companies to do this work.

I've been creating visualizations to share ideas, thinking a picture is worth a thousand words, and you can see many in my blog articles.  My friends in the Connected Learning #clmooc community introduced me to Thinglink, so I'm beginning to use that to point out elements in some of my graphics. Here's one that focuses on "intentional influence".



Both paths shown on this graphic are important.  I think influencing people who don't live in poverty to provide a consistent flow of time, talent and dollars to programs serving youth and families in poverty is going to be just as difficult as it is to influence the people leading existing programs, or starting new programs, to look past what they have already been doing, to new ideas of what they should be doing,  if the goal is that the kids in these programs today are in jobs and starting careers when they are age 25 or older.

Who else is thinking this way?

No comments: