Tuesday, August 01, 2017

The world needs knowledge catalysts - like Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC

I hope you'll visit this link and read the article titled "The world needs knowledge catalysts", by Harold Jarche.

I've  used a lot of printed (and on-line) space for the past 23  years to try to communicate the value of work the Tutor/Mentor Connection started in 1993 and that I've continued to support via the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC since 2011.

Browse the list of tags on the left and you'll find many categories that focus on uses of knowledge for innovation, problem solving, and helping mentor-rich youth programs grow in all high poverty neighborhoods of Chicago and other cities.

Last week I used this graphic in an article explaining the four-part problem solving strategy I've piloted since 1993. Step 1 of the strategy focuses on collecting and organizing information anyone can use to help tutor/mentor programs grow in more places, and to help programs have a constantly improving impact on youth and volunteers who participate, and the communities where they operate.

I created this "race to be the best" presentation several years ago to visualize how I was trying to collect information showing what youth organizations and resource providers were doing in Chicago, and in different parts of the world, so that other people would be inspired, or motivated, by those ideas and would try to use them to help youth in other places.

Think of the carrot as a good idea. If we can give attention to good ideas and promising practices and to enlightened donors and business partners on a regular basis, we can stimulate constant improvement because we influence the flow of resources and how people use those resources.

I created this presentation more than a decade ago to show how I was trying to share the information we were collecting in a learning network that includes people from Chicago and people from other cities and states.

While I was able to raise more than $3 million over 18 years to fund the growth and operations of the Tutor/Mentor Connection,  the flow was inconsistent, and never enough to do every thing I was trying to do in a big city like Chicago. Furthermore, I was never able to keep more than a few donors for multiple years. Even the strongest multi-year supporters, like the Montgomery Ward Corporation and HSBC North America went out of business, or stopped funding due to their own business situations.

Thus, I'm looking for sponsors, partners and donors in 2017 the same way I was looking for them in 1993...yet I don't have a non profit structure or team of volunteers helping me and I'm 70 so I'm looking for people who will carry this work forward into the future, not just people who will help me keep it going for another few years.

If  you read the Jarche article and look at the work I'm doing, and value my role as a "knowledge catalyst" then help me share this information and do this work.  If you want to make a contribution, visit this page and use the PayPal button.

If you want to explore other ways to help, read this "do-over" article and introduce yourself with a comment, or via Twitter, or via email at tutormentor 2 at earthlink dot net.


No comments: